Saturday, March 25, 2006

Your Sunday reading

I'm pre-empting you on this because tomorrow The Sunday Times is going to run a story called "Should Teachers Blog?".

I'm really curious as to why they would want to do a story like that. What is wrong with teachers blogging? Is the question about teachers blogging (ie. some people feel teachers should not blog, for whatever reasons) or is the question really about how and what teachers should blog about?

If any of you get to read this post before you read the The Sunday Times, perhaps you can let me know what you think about this issue.

Do you, as a student, have a problem with teachers blogging? Is there anything you are concerned about? Are there lines you think teachers shouldn't cross?

I would also like to hear your opinions after you have read the story. I'll share with you my opinions in class too. Frankly, it baffles me why this is even a topic for discussion in the mainstream media. Unless of course, some teachers have been known to do unsavoury things like posting saucy pictures or raunchy videos of themselves. Now you know that the photos I have posted on my blog are all very educational and perfectly innocuous. If you disagree, do let me know and I'll take the offending pictures down.

Mdm Sng is innocent! I blog to NURTURE MY STUDENTS and to HELP THEM IMPROVE THEIR ENGLISH. I also blog in Chinese to emphasize the IMPORTANCE OF BILINGUALISM.

Note to Straits Times : Don't put undue pressure on teachers please. We are very stressed as it is with our work and with taking care of our students. Leave us alone. Tolong.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol... mdm sng... talking to press?
haha... cute...
http://crazylamecars.blogspot.com

6:39 PM  
Blogger † Misère Noire † said...

ehhh? How can you get into trouble, you've done nothing wrong whats, you're just encouraging us to write more in english in the form of blogging. I'll be damned if we appear in the straits times.
Sth like, SIXTEEN YEAR OLD SEAH YEW NGEE BLOGS EVERYDAY ON HIS FREE TIME! THIS STIFLES HIS STUDIES AND IS A TABOO! BAAD BAAD MDM SNG!
Then worse case scenario they faked me with sth like:
"Aiya! Who cares about studying! Must have fun what!" Said this adamant 16 year old in his desolute teenage years in singlish.

11:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

firstly,everyone has the right to blog.it's our liberty!and teachers are no exception.well,i think blogs like yours is like a feedback from you teachers to us.and i certainly don't see any wrong to this. :)

1:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lihua, from your comment I take it you don't read the papers often.
Mdm sng, since when you blog in chinese? Just curious...

And can you change my blog address to this:
http://sg.geocities.com/shdwhawk12/
Please? Don't worry, I'll stop bugging you after that.

shdwhawk (XW)

4:48 PM  
Blogger Xavier said...

I do agree with you that teacher can and should blog and with a good purpose.
However, it is obvious that Straits Times are lacking of things to fill their pages.
Take it for assumption, reporters have a major grudge against teachers or should i say, blogging.

3:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hihi, since u aks me to join in e fun, here i am! i agree that there's no problem with teachers blogging or even playing online games. they are humans too. Why not? in fact, it's a good way to build rapport with students, within boundaries.

9:19 PM  
Blogger MdmSng said...

Hi md:
Welcome aboard! (I shall keep your identity a secret just to add to the fun!)

Ladies & gentlemen: another teacher has joined in our discussion. Lets hope he/she stays for awhile. :)

PS: what does 'md' stand for? SMS me plse.

9:27 PM  
Blogger MdmSng said...

Amber unicorn:
Touche!

9:43 PM  
Blogger Xavier said...

Thank you! :)

4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home