Saturday, August 12, 2006

Wake-up Call

So the Mother Tongue O Level results were released yesterday. Some of you were pleasantly surprised. Some of you sat in stunned silence, wondering what happened. A few of you were in tears.

Guess what your teachers felt? I saw your MT teacher shaking her head and I knew we had to seek solace from each other. It's hard not to take things personally, to some extent, although we try to tell ourselves it's really not our fault. That we had tried our best, and the rest is really up to you. So if our students did not rise to the occasion, took things too lightly, or over-estimated themselves, then it's time they wake up.

Many of you admitted you have still not found the momentum to prepare for your O levels. I had told you it's not a matter of whether you feel like studying. It's a simple case of discipline, working out a time table for revision, and plain, simple DOING IT. You just have to stop watching TV, or playing the computer, or even cutting down on your SMS-ing. If you don't even have the willpower to discipline yourself in this way, then you'll get another rude shock next Feb. Do you really want to learn things the hard way?

Sometimes, I wonder how I should pitch my message to you. Some of you are studying hard, but take things with such seriousness I hate to be in your shoes. I don't remember being so miserable about studying before (except in my JC days and many people I know have confessed to feeling the same way about the A levels). I had lots of fun, while preparing for my O levels and University exams. And given a choice, I'd want to relive those years, rather than face the pressure of meeting performance targets, or a demanding boss in my job. But looking at you now, there's a palpable sense of dread pervading the classroom. It doesn't have to be this way. But very few of you seem to have found the secret to joyful, meaningful studying yet.

I can't impart this secret joy to you. You have to discover it for yourself. I think I found mine in secondary school and university by simply taking the time to cultivate very close friendship. A burden shared is a burden halved (and I have many close friends in my school days). I also have an unshakeable belief in the value of knowledge. There isn't really anything that is not worth learning. Hence I love to study because it means learning many new things. Some people don't agree with me, of course. So they onerously plough through trigonometric ratios or the periodic table, or whatever, and find it all an unbearable ordeal. You may not embrace studying to such an extent like me, but it is to your benefit that you see some value in acquiring some knowledge, at least. So instead of whining, get your act together and hit the books.

P.S. Mdm Sng is currently studying for her Masters, and thinking of learning many other things as well, like a foreign language, piano, and an Advanced Dip in Chinese Language. I am trying to find the time to accomplish all these (and more) in my lifetime, in between being a mother, a teacher and a wife. Surely younger people like you have no excuse to complain of exhaustion?

9 Comments:

Blogger † Misère Noire † said...

im getting blurred vision more and more =_= my body's already tiring apart. I always reach home at around 5 from mon to thus. Then on fridays i have to rush to tuition from 2.30~4.15, then 5pm~7.30 (physics) =_= Saturday, 2pm~3.45 (math) and 5~7.30 (english) And i study from (7~7.30)~(11~12) onwards depending on how fast i eat T_T

I'm practically dead +_+

11:23 AM  
Blogger MdmSng said...

Cut the tuition.

Do you really them??

11:38 AM  
Blogger shdwhawk said...

For god's sake, you're trying to beat kwek issit? Or you're trying to be lihua? Ask your bro give you maths tuition lar, save both money and time.

Pls: take the time to enjoy your food, no one is gonna steal your dinner.

3:44 PM  
Blogger † Misère Noire † said...

no =_= i originally HAVE that many tuitions..its "punishment" So yeah, i'm screwed.

And no, i'm not trying to beat kwek, trying to beat him is like trying to get mr thamman-sth to step down and change our syllybus

8:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

interesting post i say.. i super agree wif u regarding A lvl.. its like a horror to me.. put u under xtreme pressure compared to O lvl.. anyway, to those taking Os, if u're still having tuition, pls, stop them.. look at it tis way, if u were already having them frm the start of the yr, did ur results improve a lot? if nt, do u tink its gonna work wonders within 2 mths? if ur tuition haf just started, drop it too.. logic is same, nth can work within 2 mths.. the 2 mths r meant for u to get those stuffs u learnt to settle into ur brain and how shld u get it settled in? those books u got during sec 3 - TYS.. they r seriously the best aid u got.. my jc1 maths tutor told me, if u cant even do the papers for the past yrs, do u tink u can do the comin paper? so, i wld advise u guys to just focus on ur TYS more than just studying..

5:37 PM  
Blogger MdmSng said...

If Mr Tharman steps down, he won't be able to change anything about our education!

If the tuition helps you to revise, then I guess the investment is worthwhile. Otherwise, you may seriously want to beg your parents to reduce the number of subjects.

5:39 PM  
Blogger MdmSng said...

Chun Hong:
Good advice! I remember doing my TYS from front to back till every single question has been tried. And it really helped.

A levels is such a killer I don't know how I survived it. Many of my friends recalled their JC days as a blur. Whether they played too hard or studied too hard, it usually was a period they couldn't wait to get over with.

5:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

whao i didnt know teachers blog, and i do admire your class for having such an encouraging teacher! (: you did hit the nail, studying isnt all about STUDYING!
-gm student

4:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you Mdm Sng! u inspire me!

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home