Wednesday, April 19, 2006

I'm no mean mother

Some of you think I've got a mean streak in me just because I told you I regale my daughter with newspaper stories of car accidents. You can't have been more wrong.

I mean, just turn to the newspaper any day, what nice, wholesome stories do you think I can tell my 7 year old girl? About how Durai gets charged? About the elections? About why her Ah Mah's HDB block will not get upgrading? Perhaps the newspaper is not a good source of stories for young innocent minds but I beg to differ. I think there's no harm in letting her hear real stories of people having accidents, or suffering, or dying. Of course, I censor the gory bits and just let her have the gist of the story, coupled with a few moralistic coda about how she shouldn't get a boyfriend who rides a motorbike (a lot of them end up as pulp on the expressway), or what she must ask the nice gor-gor who asks her to donate money to a charity (like what % of the money goes to the real people in need).

Of course, the stories that get published in the newspapers are usually sad, horrible ones. So my daughter's mind is fed with these doses of reality from her enthusiastic mother. No point letting her believe that life is all Snow White and happily ever after nonsense right?

I do confess, I have a hidden agenda to these newspaper stories sessions I have with my girl. I actually want her to realise that the newspapers is a rich source of stories and ideas. And hopefully, she'll want to pick one up soon and read them herself. It's tough to be an English teacher's daughter huh?

* * * * * * * * * *

Happened to read another teacher's blog about what she thinks her students were doing when she gave them work. Read this.

Then read what the teacher was actually doing.

Quite hilarious if you ask me. Perhaps I should bring a laptop to class when I give you work to do in future.

5 Comments:

Blogger † Misère Noire † said...

Situation: Give work, seperate desk, teacher slacks on computer

Potential Results: Class boys throws balls at each other out of boredom, increased talking, negligible or no work done

Example: Geography remedial, end of story

anyway, when you said FUNNY at car accidents, we're not saying you're mean, we're saying you're sadistic! I mean come on, the poor guy's knocked down or sth, you call it funny =_=

7:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaz.. mdn sng, u getting better and better at being teacher - an english teacher.. tis kinda things cant blame de ma.. lol.. anyway, i kinda understand y u wld treat an accident funny etc.. cuz my GP tutor is somewhat liddat as well.. haa..

2:29 AM  
Blogger Ondine said...

Hi! I'm amazed you actually found my blog. I used to teach in the same school that you do, as a contract teacher and on practicum. How small this world is!

10:21 PM  
Blogger MdmSng said...

Ondine,

Wow! Do I know you??

This is a little spooky huh?

9:36 PM  
Blogger Ondine said...

Yes you do. I used to teach at the school with you but left to go to NIE when you joined. And when I came back for 10 weeks 9 months later, you were still there, as all good teachers are. :) Heh.

12:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home