Saturday, April 01, 2006

Happy April Fool's, etc

I am actually glad that April Fool's Day falls on a Saturday this year. No need for teachers to be extra vigilant when she walks into class because she never knows if her students are going to play a prank on her. And for some reasons, some students take the liberty to disregard what the teachers say on this day, especially if it's got anything to do with homework or test, thinking the teacher is joking. Oh please, teachers NEVER joke about homework or test. We take these very seriously, like wedding vows.

* * * * * * * *

This week has been a very hectic week for me. So many meetings and a zillion and one things to do. I managed just one day of tennis with the boys, which ended unfortunately with Victor breaking a tennis racket. I showed Exhibit A to the owner of the racket (a PE teacher), and we spent a good 5 minutes trying to explain HOW the damage occurred, cos we have never seen anything like it before.

In my 10+ years of tennis playing, I have broken racket strings many times, but never a racket with its frame cracked at such an unusual angle. If I could only see how it happened in slow mo, then maybe I could explain it using Newtonian physics.

* * * * * * * * * *
On the subject of tennis and sports in general, I was talking to a fellow PE teacher about the idea of "winning" in sports. "Winning is not everything," he said. This uttered after our school team had lost a certain match.

"Sure, winning is not everything," I said. "Winning is the ONLY thing."

Which about sums up my personal motto. When I do anything, I want to win. I don't want to be a loser. I am very competitive by nature. If I meet with failure, it spurs me to try harder the next time. Because I want to win eventually.

Some friends have told me it's quite stressful to play games with me (whether it's tennis or Scrabble or carom) because I take them so seriously and I'm so kiasu (literally). I am not sure if my competitive spirit is unhealthy in some ways. I admit, it does at times make me impatient with people (even students) who are so contented with mediocrity. Where's your fighting spirit? Where's the striving for excellence, for kick-ass, mindblowing, jaw-dropping, critic-silencing performance? How can you be pleased with something that's a pale shadow of your true potential? I want to scream at them.

If I ever come across as the fiery-breath, demanding teacher in class, bear with me. It is the competitor in me speaking. And I'm just trying to stir you all up. Rise up, rise up, and take the class, the school, your family, your clan by storm. Stop being a nobody. You are a SOMEBODY.

And this is no April Fool's joke.

12 Comments:

Blogger STONE(: said...

lol...who's e nobody, somebody u refering to?..performance?

4:05 PM  
Blogger MdmSng said...

Hi Lixuan (or is it liwen?),
I'm nor referring to anyone in particular. Just want those who are passive in class, or those who are not giving their 100%, to arise and shine.

You all can do it! :)

6:26 PM  
Blogger STONE(: said...

oh..lol..btw im e true lixuan..why would u think im liwen?she have her own personal blog..waha..sabo her..u go look look..

6:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Danfan:
only if the freaky motherly teacher is not me.

mdm sng

1:29 PM  
Blogger † Misère Noire † said...

=O scary... *hides at a corner and peeps*

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*snicker* Is a motherly teacher that freaky?
Ok... I just read it. Lihua, I think i know who you are talking about (its not you, mdm sng), but I would DEFINATELY DISAGREE that she is a motherly teacher. Freaky, YES. Motherly, NO. Other words to describe her character: crazy, cranky, unreasonable. And I won't necessary call what she is doing teaching. More like bad droning (I wonder if she passes her english oral). I don't detest her, but it will be better for HER if she doesn't anyhow jump to conclusions.
Your compo is not accurate. Quote:"In addition, she would sometimes scold innocent people although it seldom happen nowadays."Unquote. I hope you are being sarcastic.
Quote:"However, upon learning my name, she started to target me."Unquote. Or maybe its simple because you talk/spill easily.
Quote:"Thankfully, I got a unique way to solve this predicament and I am going to keep it a secret."Unquote. Your secrets are never secrets long. Why? You talk/spill easily and you are also predictable.
Quote:"No matter what, I will not detest her because of her nice clothes she wearing on odd weeks and her teaching style."Unqoute. You are siao, period.

You want example of REAL motherly teacher? One is huang da ma. She is definately motherly, but I won't call her freaky.

shdwhawk

4:06 PM  
Blogger † Misère Noire † said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:51 PM  
Blogger † Misère Noire † said...

WAIIIIT?! ARE YOU REFERING TO MDM NG OR LFL?

if you want an analogy, LFL's as motherly as a cucko bird, lays her own eggs in other's nest =I

5:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If April Fool falls on any day during weekdays, I would make sure that teachers are in for a ride. I would come up with a thousand and one crazy pranks to be played on teachers. Winning is a mentality that people who craves for success should have so in order to be a winner you must be one that goes all out to win every single thing you do. I must comment that you, mdm sng, must be successful in life. Are you a H.O.D?

10:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I forgot to state earlier on that I am the Sweet Unfortunate.

10:26 PM  
Blogger MdmSng said...

Anonymous:

Does one have to be a HOD in order to be considered successful? I actually don't equate success with one's rank. You can be a CEO and still be a failure in a way if your family is in a mess.

2:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was intending to post this after my own post. I did not expect so many other comments, especially from someone who can't even define "motherly" properly. And I kinda agree that uni's analogy could be fitting.

Whatever the case, the ONLY really motherly teacher I can think of is huang da ma. No offense to other teachers, I know some of you mean good, but were I asked to name a motherly teacher, huang da ma comes to mind immediately (I guess that's how she got her nickname).

For teachers who can't read poeple's character (not you, mdm sng), PLEASE DON'T TRY. Huang da ma can read people's character quite well, but her guess about me is still slightly off (hahaha). So those who can't, please don't anyhow put labels, though I know most teachers don't.
And just for those who can never interpret others, before you start accusing, I'll say this first. I'm not angry with anyone. I don't hate anyone. Some teachers may be nice, some may not. Personally, I find most teachers pleasant, with a few that even send me to sleep. =P OK... Maybe it's simply because I have shorter attention span when it comes to things that are uninteresting to me.

Whatever the case, a teacher's job is to teach. A student's job is to study. Let each do his/her job.
Case close.

shdwhawk

8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home