Wednesday, October 01, 2008

What do you read?

To my dear students (especially the more vociferous ones from F31) who have been lamenting on the near-demise of my blog, I shall attemp to breathe a bit of life back to my blog. This is particularly important to me since I discovered several ex-students who still check my blog for any signs of life and use this blog as a means to stay in touch.

Of course, my lack of activity here is not entirely forgiveable. Busyness is a pathetic excuse I know, because I always frown on students who use their busyness as an excuse for not picking up a book to read. You will always make time for things that are important to you and for that matter, I will always have time to read, and you will always see me with a book wherever I go. I will readily succumb to any spot check by any student to see if I practise what I preach. If you promise not to laugh at the songs I have in my ipod, you can always spot-check my bag and see if I have a book tucked inside.

Talking about reading, this year has been a very very productive year for me as far as reading goes. As early as December 2007, I began my frantic foray into Chinese books (very humbled by my lack of Chinese fluency after my visit to Beijing) and devoured close to 20 Chinese novels in the space of 3 months. That is a personal record for me as I have never read more than 10 Chinese novels in the last 30+ years since I learnt to read Chinese! Since this personal Olympic feat, I have been able to maintain a constant reading diet of about a Chinese novel every 6 weeks.

Interspersed with my Oriental diet is a steady stream of English books - my first love naturally - and I went through a surfeit of thrillers (David Baldacci, Lee Child, Harlan Coben, Tess Gerritsen, Kathy Reichs, Tami Hoag to even the quaint but equally titillating Qiu XiaoLong) before I exhausted myself and have now retreated to more sedate but more satisfying authors like Barbara Kingsolver and Peter Carey. The thrillers have served their purpose of getting me reading voraciously (1 book every 2-3 days) through the year-end holidays last year and up till the first quarter of this year. Then the formulaic serving begins to wear me out and I started to seek a more eclectic cuisine.

I have also bought tons of books in the meantime and they are all sitting nicely on my shelves, waiting for me to explore their riches. I must give special thanks to F31 for giving me a most precious gift for Teachers' Day - you are evidently a class after my own heart! :) I shall savour the delights of Jeffrey Eugenides' Middlesex with great joy once the December break starts. (I need to clear the backlog of books from the National Library first!)

This year also marks the year I start exploring some authors that I see my students reading. The girls in F31 seem very fond of Jodi Picoult so I took the liberty to order some of her books for the school library, although I must confess I had no idea at that time if her books are 'wholesome' enough for the school library. I discovered, after trying one of her books, that the 'risk' was worth it. After the Jodi Picoult fever, I saw Stephanie Meyer making her rounds in the school. I mentioned it to some of the English teachers and one of them promptly bought one to read and pronounced it a page-turner (the vampire content notwithstanding). So I've 'choped' the book as it is making its round amongst the English teachers and I can't wait to read for myself this page-turner. I can't guarantee that Stephanie Meyer will take residence in our school library next year seeing as the school is not that open to vampire stories but I'm optimistic that if a sufficient number of teachers give the thumbs-up, we may be able to see our library stocked with books you want to read.

Which brings me to the title of this post. I'm curious to know what authors you like to read and why. Since I have quite a big say in what books will appear in our library (in fact I get to choose the books!), you will do many students in GM a big favour by telling me authors and books that you want to see in our library. So please respond in the comments section and I'll see what I can do next year.

Ex-students who read this post, you can also let me know what you read. I've always believed in recommending good books to people. A good book is one of the best gifts you can give to anyone and if you think teachers are clueless about what teenagers like (there is an element of truth in that!), then pray, englighten us. I look forward to hearing from all the hungry readers out there.

16 Comments:

Blogger Jiaqi said...

haha its unbelieveable to me that a person can read so many books.haha coz i don't usually read books :)

8:10 PM  
Blogger eugene said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:25 PM  
Blogger eugene said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:26 PM  
Blogger eugene said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:29 PM  
Blogger eugene said...

I jus finished this book called "This Will Go Down on Your Permanent Record" by Susannah Felts which is her first novel and the first novel I've ever (yes, i mean it) finished after living 18+ years of my life and I thought it's a relatively easy-to-read book. Her depth of vocabulary and style of writing is commendable. *Disclaimer: This book might not appeal to some as the plot is pretty mundane.

James Patterson's book are also highly recommended to me by a few friends of mine. The plot and writing is mature and "thought-provoking" according to them. I've yet to lay my hands on one of his book but I will do that on my next visit to the library after I'm done reading the chinese book I've borrowed. :)

1:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely James Patterson. His writing is straightforward & with every page you turn there's always suspense and a new mystery. Very thought-provoking (and bloody, just not as disgusting as kathy reichs). I don't know about his other books but I've read the entire 'Women's Murder Club' series which have made me abandon my homework a couple of times...

Sarah Dessen is another brilliant author. Because ALL of her plots are based on the lives of teenagers, I've found it really easy to connect with the characters. Her books are highly recommended if you're into the whole I'm-broken-but-I-met-someone-who's-changed-the-way-I-see-life kind of plot. Very inspirational and maybe even life-changing.

YouJin L.

7:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hope you don't mind me correcting a typo? Haha...

Para 1 Line 2 "...I shall attemp to breathe a bit of life..."
I believe you must have left out the 't' in attempt while typing out the long message... haha...

Cheers!

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man, more titles to check out~ Yeah!!! Wa, Mdm Sng can help add to the school's libirary collection... why now and not like maybe 3 years ago?! Just kidding, but I wish I can do that to the National Library's as well.
As for what I read, well, basically anything that I find interesting. I have a whole list which the National Libraries rarely carry the full series, but I don't know which box it went into. Offhand, some books for deep reading are "1984" by Owell, "Handmaiden's Tale", "We" by Zimyatin. I cannot remember the full author names. Mdm Sng if you want a challenge you can try the book "We". It's really tough to understand, not to mention that there's only one ragtag copy in the entire Singapore National Libraries' collection which you have to reserve. Offhand some other authors of less profound books, Laurell K.Hamilton (vampire series which a friend complained that the later books in her series don't have as much killing/fighting), Sherrilyn Kenyon (based somewhat on ancient mythological gods/heros), Jim Butcher (dry-witted fantasy series in modern world), Lee Child (detective story recommended by Joyce :D), Terry Brooks (long series), R.A.Salvator (a major writer of DragonLance series and ForgottenRealms series).
Unfortunately, I cannot read now no matter how much I want to (not to mention my mother will have a major eruption if she catches me reading storybooks now). But anyway, just tahan one more month.... and here I come books!

10:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Corrections:
"We" by Zamyatin
"Handmaid's Tale" by Magarat Atwood

7:59 AM  
Blogger MdmSng said...

Jiaqi:
It is possible to read that many books.

For example, instead of watching TV (most of which is junk in my opinion), you can read. I make sure I read for at least 30 mins before I sleep. That is the barest minimum for me.

While waiting for the bus/MRT/friends, you can read. I read while waiting for my daughter to finish her meal (which takes forever).

Even in the midst of doing stressful things, like marking exam scripts in my case, I will mark for 30 mins, then read for 10 mins, then mark for another 30 mins. The reading relaxes my mind and makes the marking more 'tolerable'.

It's really a matter of what's important to you. To me, reading is like eating and breathing. If I don't read anything for one day, I would feel as if something's not right. I just GOT TO READ something everyday. :)

3:20 PM  
Blogger MdmSng said...

Eugene:
I can't believe you have never read a full-length novel in the last 18 years!! I felt as if I have failed as your English teacher!

However, I'm glad you have chalked up book #1. It's never too late.

Seems like James Patterson is a hot favourite among some of you here. I've not read Patterson yet but will definitely try him before the end of the year. Thank goodness the national library's full of Patterson's works. Yippee!

3:23 PM  
Blogger MdmSng said...

Actioninstinct:

I popped by your blog and saw that you do have a wide range of reading diet. Good for you!

Have not heard of Sarah Dessen (go on - stone me) but if you say she's good, then I should at least take a peek at Amazon and read some excerpts to see if she's worth adding to our school library.

I wonder if any other people wanna put in a second vote for Sarah Dessen?

3:27 PM  
Blogger MdmSng said...

shdwhawk:

Nice to hear from you again! I know you do have a rather eclectic taste and I'm not surprised by your recommendations.

I love Margaret Atwood too! The Handmaid's Tale is a classic and I highly recommend it to those who want something chilling but thought-provoking as well. I also recommend Atwood's Alias Grace (I have a personal copy if anyone wants to borrow).

Lee Child is also a personal favourite. And another author who offers similar fare to Child is Harlan Coben. Great suspense writer.

I'm not very into Fantasy books so not sure about Terry Brooks (someone told me his books would never get through the GM censorship board!). The only vampire series I've read are Anne Rice's books (more adult than Stephenie Meyer's) so I guess Meyer's fans should graduate to Rice's materials eventually.

On a separate note: why would your mum forbid you from reading now??!! Even if you're in the midst of exams or a court trial or even childbirth, reading is good for the soul!! Tell your mum Mdm Sng says that!!

3:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey mdm sng

:P I feel embarrassed abt that too. Haha. No it's not ur fault that i didnt read but it's jus a matter of mindset i guess.

Reason why I didnt finish a full-length novel was because I kept telling myself I've no time for it. So, my books are always half-read (if there's such a word). Anyway, it's just some lame excuse which I thk many students out there are making as well.

It's only until I realised how much my eng standard had dropped since I left sch did I actually realise how important eng is. But at least I'm happy that I'm completing my 3rd novel soon! Woohoo~~ 3 cheers and 3 cheers for eugene! HAHAHA.

9:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cecelia ahern!!!

some call it modern faiytale but i think it is more of raveling one's life? check it out (:

10:34 AM  
Blogger su said...

Twilight Rocks!!


Please watch the movie everyone! =))

11:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home