Thursday, October 23, 2008

First time stuck in lift

What an odd way to finish the school term.

I got stuck in the school lift for about 35 minutes today. Right when I was heading to my class for the class party. The lift heaved a little more heavily than usual on the 3rd floor and then stopped dead. Cassie, the IT trainer who was in the lift in me, stared round-eyed at me and started hitting all the buttons on the lift panel frantically. Me, I tried to act cool. It was a surreal moment for me.

I told Cassie to calm down. Just wait for help to come. I saw lots of students walking outside the the lift. We waved, shouted, banged on the door, rang the alarm bell. But no one heard us. Now what? Thankfully Cassie had her phone with her. She called the office. Then we waited.

Meanwhile, I pondered about the absurdity of the situation. Here I am, armed with a box of brownies for my class, but I'm trapped in this metallic hellhole. The students outside couldn't hear us. The air in the lift was getting stale. But I had food with me!! Let's eat here! I told Cassie. Let's take a picture too!

Finally some boys from F34 saw us. They pressed their faces to the glass panel. They laughed, pointed fingers, whipped out their handphones (not to take pictures I hope!) and got more of their friends to come and look at Exhibit A. Oh no, not when my make-up was melting!

Miss Johnson came. I put on my best woebegone face to gain some sympathy. Then the repairman came, pried open the door, and we stepped out.

I patted my hair, checked my make-up, and tried, as suavely as I could, to make my way up to my class. Last day of school, and I had to experience such a malu moment. But thank God it's the last day of school. I wouldn't want to start the year being known as The Teacher Who Got Stuck In The Lift. Like that where to hide my face?

6 Comments:

Blogger Jiaqi said...

haha ur last sentence sounds singlish haha!

9:23 PM  
Blogger Sakura said...

Wow Mdm Sng, you are still blogging.

Li Hua

9:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe Mdm Sng should take the stairs next time. Good excercise too. Hehe
As to why my mum doesn't want me to read storybooks now, well I got 2 E and one fail out of 5 subjects for prelims. She's been complaining I'm too slack and need to practice more. She'll more likely to have a major explosion then listen how how reading is good for the soul......

12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A book in my collection just reminded me, GM library did used to stock one of Terry Brooks' books. But they sold it (and a few similar kinds of books) in one of the book clearance sales. Probably getting rid of those books they censored as erm not good/useful for students? XD That book is actually now with me.
Does anyone know where I can borrow Margaret Atwood's books? All branches of the National Library doesn't have the last time I checked, and my friend only photocopy the part of Handmaids' Tale that she needed for Lit.
And I also doubt the NBL (GE branch) has Harlan Coben's books too... There's actually a lot of books NBL don't stock in general.

Sakura, you said nothing on WWW is static. Not true, you can keep the same address for years and no one can chase you away, AND you can still be active. And constantly changing address doesn't mean you're not static either, you could still have an incomplete webpage which will never be filled. Basically it's just people's mindset. To me if one already has positive attention (or at least no negative attention...), why shift away?
Seriously... I must be going crazy from studying if I'm even considering arguing with her -.-" Or maybe I'm just bored. Speaking of which... how come SOMEone isn't mugging 24/7?

9:49 PM  
Blogger Wei Mei Ten said...

haha. mdm sng, that was quite a hilarious post. i hope it wasnt a terrible experience for you, though apparently, it was. :X

3:03 PM  
Blogger Wei Mei Ten said...

i was still wondering what on earth happened to you in the first place. so it turned out to be that you were stuck in the lift. oh well.

3:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home