Thursday, February 16, 2006

Mdm Sng gives tips

Mdm Sng has just finished a game of badminton in school and with adrenaline pumping furiously and the blood rising rapidly to her face and hopefully to her brains, she is now ready to give tips (since Nacrasis asked for tips for improving compre).

Tips for making Mdm Sng happy : play badminton or tennis with her after school. So you think you are very stressed out? And you think I am not? Ever wonder why I love racket games? Because I get to wield a weapon of mass destruction and slam/smash/whack the ball/shuttlecock into my opponent's face/body/unmentionables. It is very cathartic for the soul. A great stress-reliever. And at the end of the game, if my opponent is decimated and humiliated, I feel a deep sense of delirium coursing through my veins. (If I lose the game, it'll just spur me to be more aggressive the next round.)

And now for the boring stuff.

Tips for scoring in comprehension:
1) Read, read, read. And not just a diet of thrillers if that's your favourite. Read newspaper articles, read National Geographic (especially the mountain expeditions, jungle trekking, river crossing stories cos for some strange reasons the O level setters seem to like such topics), read Time/Newsweek/Economist, read the Life section, read the Saturday & Sunday papers. Read for knowledge, read for enjoyment, read to show off to your friends, read so that you can think more clearly. Just read like you need to eat. Fill your mind with ideas, words, be consumed with such profundity and vastness of thoughts that your senses are so titillated and challenged that you are not willing to settle for mere mediocrity and simple-mindedness of thought and paralysing parochialism.

2) When you're truly able to do (1), then the comprehension passage that you encounter is not so daunting any more.

3) Look through past years' papers. Read all the comprehension passages to get a feel of the types of text that are likely to appear in the exams. Go through the questions, there are only so many types of questions they can ask you -- factual, inferential, vocab, irony. If you can understand the passage, then you can handle the questions.

4) Expand your vocabulary. I am still learning new words now. So how can you stop learning or think that what you know now is enough? A paucity of vocabulary actually leads to poverty of thought. You need a good command of language to think more clearly, more vividly and more profoundly.

5) Practise doing summary (since it takes up 50% of the total marks). Learn to extract relevant information and then put them together in continuous prose. Summary skill is actually one of the most useful skills you would need in your life. If you cannot extract information and present them succintly, you will write trashy, long-winded reports and make boring presentations in future when you work. So it is worthwhile investing time to master this skill.

Tips for surviving your O level year:
Work hard, play hard. And help one another. There is strength in numbers. Build up your class spirit and then you'll find studying quite fun. Believe me! Mdm Sng doesn't lie (although sometimes she tells white lies - which I hope you know what it means because some of you did not understand the phrase and wrote out of point in your test! - but she has very pure intentions!).

*Bonus* Tips for 4D:
6250. Which is the percentage of distinctions that your predecessors scored for EL last year. 62.5% ah! How, scary target to beat right?

My adrenaline's dropping now, so it's a sign to go home. Talk to you in class tomorrow.

9 Comments:

Blogger † Misère Noire † said...

yay tips..anyone care for a game of badminton/tennis tmr afternoon? =D

7:07 PM  
Blogger shdwhawk said...

AHHHHHH!!!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! NOT LIHUA!!!

No offense, but I rather have Laylian for partner. =P

Uni, how come I didn't see you playing badminton after school on friday? Though I did saw DennisK playing...... interesting eh?

Mdm sng, my friend wants to play tennis, but is too shy to ask. Quote "Tips for making Mdm Sng happy: play badminton or tennis with her after school." Unquote. So, maybe we'll take up your offer, but I never seem to see you anywhere after school.

4:24 PM  
Blogger shdwhawk said...

Oh, one more thing, mdm sng. You sound a lot like laylian (referring to your method of playing), always trying to kill your opponent (somehow laylian always seems to target my head). It would be fascinating to watch both of you play.

4:30 PM  
Blogger shdwhawk said...

Uh, mdm sng, I believe Hui Yi's blog address is entered wrongly.

9:40 PM  
Blogger MdmSng said...

Eh who is this Laylian? If she's an aggressive player then I want to meet her!

The reason why you hardly see me after school is because I'm inside the staff room! I usually go home after 5pm so most times I am around. Since there are a few keen people who want to play tennis/badminton, shall we fix a games day? See my next post for details.

11:15 PM  
Blogger nAm-aKa-dAViD said...

OoO! Since when our class so on for badminton stuffs? dont you know half of the guys in our class are all badminton players? HahaX! BEWARE!

11:47 PM  
Blogger † Misère Noire † said...

its VERY hard to miss laylian..literally. She's the prime example that 2.4km walk-run is either set to high for boys or too low for girls. and no, laylian TRIES to be aggressive but miss alot.

Xiao wei: got tuition =_= i still owe my tutor 4 lessons from december

9:47 AM  
Blogger shdwhawk said...

Oi, uni, don't be so bad. Have you ever recently tried playing against her or not? If not, don't sprout crap. And mdm sng, I have to enter the staff room to borrow rackets, and I don't see you at all -- and usually I'm free to loiter in school until 1700 on wed and 1630 fri.

3:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

uPon reading this part of the blog i suddenly remembered, i thINk i am one of them who wrote my compO out of point ritex? grR.. (livia h53)

8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home